Tuesday, June 29, 2010

An unchanging, unending midnight.

Not that I care much for The Twilight Saga, but I wish I were going to a midnight screening of Eclipse tonight.

Sometimes it bothers me how many cultural differences there are between my parents and myself. I remember wanting to watch "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" at a midnight release party and not getting the opportunity to do so because my parents didn't give me permission to go. This also happened with the midnight release parties for the books, except "Deathly Hallows". Even then, I only went because my brother took me and had to stay the whole time.

They find it really hard to grasp the concept of being part of a fandom or that there is such a thing as a responsible person with a night life. They don't understand that when I want to go to a midnight release party/screening, the movie or book aren't the only things I'm paying for. I'm also paying for the experience. In fact, those 30 minutes before the movie begins and the thirty minutes after it ends are probably the best part of the experience. Watching a movie the moment it releases after such long anticipation and excitement, in the company of people who are just as excited does not compare to watching it online at your computer desk, or even going to the movies during the day a few days after it releases. It's just a whole different atmosphere that you can't take advantage of unless you're in the right place at the right moment.

P.S. The title was from Smeyer's "Midnight Sun." The best quote I could get with the word "midnight" in it besides: "We're coming back by midnight Sunday. It's up to you if you want to leave." Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. This about sums it for me. I wish I could go to a midnight show myself! My mother said she would let me go but it would just be hard to do what with my baby brother and all. I'd love to experience something like this one day. It's just something I must do at some point in my life. Maybe for Breaking Dawn.

    ReplyDelete