Saturday, June 26, 2010

He is like fire, burning through time.

Whether Chuck Bass is passionately kissing Nate Archibald on Gossip Girl* or Dr. Cox is quitting the hospital due to a faulty organ donor on Scrubs, I'm type to squeal and yell at my television screen (or computer monitor) when something exciting happens. Let me tell you, today's season finale of Doctor Who had me yelling all over the place. Though I've only been watching this show for half a year, it has me hooked. The subtle humor, cheesiness, and brilliant story lines really know how to grab me. I almost want to go back and watch the original series just to see if there were any allusions or jokes that I missed this time around.

I've heard it said that no one ever forgets their first Doctor. Though I watched every episode from the time of the ninth Doctor (played by Christopher Eccleston), I don't feel like he's my first. And as much as I absolutely love the 10th Doctor's (David Tennant) hilarity, brilliance, and dashing good looks, he's still not the Doctor I claim to be my first. Nope, my first is Matt Smith. He's the first I actually had to, well, wait for**. As in, I actually had to wait for every episode to air on television before watching it. The series I'd seen prior to this had already released, and I was able to binge on episodes without any of that waiting crap. Matt Smith was the first one whom I had to be patient with between episodes, which made them all the more exciting and hilarious.

While many didn't think he was fit for the role at first (and my friend Luis still doesn't think he is), I thought he made an amazing Doctor. If the change actor wasn't enough for a lot of people, the character had a lot of quirks after his regeneration, which I thought were what made him hilarious and set him apart from the rest. The whole bit about not knowing how to act human in The Lodger had me rofling*** the whole time. He's just too oblivious for his own good sometimes. In contrast, he also has those moments of "You can't do shit to this planet! You know why? 'cause I'm the motherfucking Doctor. *cue theme music for series 5*" They had one of these at the end of The Eleventh Hour, and in the middle of The Pandorica Opens. Both times, his enemies agree "Oh, shit. He is the Doctor. Let's gtfo. kthxbai." It was brilliant. I absolutely loved it.

I think I've babbled enough about this man for one day. If you'd like to continue a conversation about the 11th Doctor, you can just drop a comment.

Good day, everyone.

Bowties are cool.

*Which hasn't actually happened yet. But hey, a girl can dream.
**Reyna Villa: the girl who waited. See what I did there?!
***YES. I was literally. ROLLING ON THE FLOOR. No, not really.

2 comments:

  1. Dr Who? AMAZING!!!! And I can watch it before you!!! British TV ftw!!!! I guess England isn't so bad after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone gets to watch Television before me, regardless. Even in America, those who live on the east coast get to watch shows 3 hours before me. SMH.

    ReplyDelete