Saturday, January 15, 2011

Of Netbooks and Tablets

Sometimes when I'm sitting at the computer at home, my bother wants to go online and do his usual Facebook browsing, crop harvesting, and funny video watching. Unfortunately for him, I'm sometimes busy editing a video, or working on something for school, or in the middle of a Skype call and can't really get off the computer until I finish whatever I'm doing. He gets annoyed, and grabs my netbook to browse instead. My netbook's starting to become old and slow, and I think it'll be time for an upgrade in the next few months.

Lucky for me, the tablet device market is gonna be booming this year. None of this "iPad is an original device" crap. Hush it, Jobs. It isn't revolutionary, and it sure as hell ain't magical. Also, I'm kind of tired of the Apple-centricity of today. I've heard so many people either talk about how cool the iPad is or how it's just a big iPod Touch. Not once have I heard anyone say that the Samsung Galaxy Tab looks like a big Droid, or the BlackBerry PlayBook is simply a blown up BlackBerry Storm.

ANYWAY. I've been thinking that once my netbook is obsolete, I might want to replace it with a tablet of sorts. One that supports Adobe Flash, has both back and front facing cameras, and whatever novelites are out there that I've yet to think about as necessities in gadgets these days. Because GOD FORBID I can't collect my rent or harvest my crops from CityVille on a tablet device.

What I'm trying to say is: I want a Motorola Xoom. It was probably the sexiest gadget to come out of CES this year.

Quick overview of the specs: Dual-core processor, Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), front and rear-facing cameras, camcorder, Adobe Flash Player, 10.1-inch widescreen HD display, supports Wi-Fi, 1280x800 screen res.

Let me just say that THE SCREEN SIZE AND RESOLUTION ARE BIGGER THAN MY NETBOOK. I want. I just hope it doesn't cost millions of dollars.


Slightly-related fun fact: A few nights ago, I had a dream in which I owned an iPad that could project video onto my wall. It was really cool. Developers and hardware manufacturers: GET ON THAT.

1 comment: