Wednesday, February 4, 2015

In Defense of the Selfie Stick

Oh, lame. I just googled "In Defense of the Selfie Stick" and it turns out I'm not very original when it comes to post titles.

I've been hearing a lot of smack talk about selfie sticks recently and it makes me scared to mention how much I really really want to own one. So because I no longer want to hide my love/want for selfie sticks, here are a few reasons why they are awesome.

  1. You know your photos best — Have you ever asked someone else to take a picture of you and you didn't like how it turned out? It was probably out of focus or framed weirdly, or they catch your favorite angle. Even worse, they might've shot it too wide or tall to fit into the perfect Instagram square. With selfie sticks, you are the master of your photo, your focus, and your frame.
  2. No fear of losing your phone – (Or GoPro or whatever). One thing that's always made me nervous is giving others my phone/camera. What if they scroll through my photos? What if they drop it? What if as soon as I hand it to them, they run away never to be heard from again?! Nope, the selfie stick gives me peace of mind. At least if someone tried to yank it away from me, it wouldn't be because I willingly handed it to them.
  3. You can actually see your surroundings – Personally, I love a good selfie for a profile photo. But when I'm visiting someplace new or experiencing something fun, I want to remember where I was and what was around me. Not just what my hair and makeup looked like. I love seeing myself in the context of my surroundings. Shit, I can't never tell where most of my non-selfie-stick selfies were taken.
  4. They're so simple – Seriously. I don't know why they didn't exist before! Literally a stick. Like. What. Gone are the days of taking a bulky tripod with you on a trip to get that perfect shot of you in the mountains. IT'S A PERSONAL MONOPOD! These things are portable, lightweight, easy to use, and... Oh god, I've been writing way too many callouts at work. Help.

Sorrynotsorry, but I love being part of such a self-indulgent generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment