Thursday, October 16, 2008

Proposition 8: eliminates the right of same-sex couples to marry

[This was part of an assignment for my political science class, but I guess I found it blog-worthy]

I asked my parents their oppinion on the issue of same-sex marriage and they're pretty much going to vote in favor of Proposition 8. Their justification was that God was the one who set forth the laws of marriage, which guarantee it to only be between a man and a woman. Yes, marriage has always been some sort of religious ceremony and tradition. I know a lot of people care about preserving the traditional definition of marriage, but let's face it: it's the 21st century and we live in what is probably one of the most liberal states in our nation. I was pretty glad the court ruled same-sex marriage legal last May. I'm not even sure why, because I know I'm definitely not a lesbian or anything. I guess I just always valued our freedom of equality in this country, being that our country was established in order to provide its citizens the freedoms and liberties that they couldn't get anywhere else. If the law guarantees equality to every citizen, then why should every citizen not be allowed to marry the person they love? Love is love, regardless of gender. One can't help it if they fall in love with somebody of the same sex and, just like any other married couple, want to spend the rest of their life with them. Of course, there's always been legality of domestic partnership, but it's not the same as real marriage under the law. Without marriage, one can't have the security that their spouse will be there with them in hospital rooms or making life-and-death decisions without a confusion of some sort. Allowing same-sex couples the right to marry would provide them the security that they will be able to live their lives just as any other couple would. I'm definitely voting against Proposition 8 on November 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment